Entries now being accepted for the JACK REID MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
In memory of longtime volunteer Jack Reid, the MD/DE/WV SCBWI Region offers two scholarships, one for a writer and one for an illustrator, to the March 2018 conference. Applicants must be current SCBWI members, living within our MD/DE/WV region and not currently represented by a literary agent or with a project (manuscript or illustrations) currently under contract. Submissions will be judged anonymously by the scholarship committee. Entries must be received by November 15, 2017. Winners will be announced in early December, prior to the opening of conference registration.
1) All entries should be sent by email to MDDEWV@scbwi.org with “2018 Jack Reid Memorial Scholarship Entry – (Your Name)” in the subject line.
2) Type your cover letter in the body of the email. It should include:
- -your name
- -name on your SCBWI registration, if different from above
- -the city and state where you live
- -a statement that you are an active member of SCBWI, are not currently represented by an agent, and do not have a work under contract
- -your reason for applying for the scholarship
- -a list of attached files by name
- -the genre represented by your submission (YA manuscript, picture book illustrations, etc.)
3) Writers: attach your submission to the email, following the guidelines below.
- -Submit no more than 10 pages of a manuscript for children.
- -Accepted formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf
- -Manuscripts should be in Times New Roman 12 point font, with pages numbered.
- -The name of your file should contain the manuscript title and nothing else. (For example: WheretheWildThingsAre.doc)
- -DO NOT include your name anywhere in the document or filename.
4) Illustrators: attach your submissions to the email, following the guidelines below.
- -Submit 3 illustrations for children in .jpg format.
- -Name each file using this format: your initials_brief description of illustration. For example, Jane Doe’s illustration of a butterfly would be named: JD_butterfly.jpg
- -DO NOT include your name on the illustrations themselves.
5) Entries must be received by November 15, 2017.