Please pardon our dust as we remodel the site to transition from our 2018/19 challenge to the upcoming 2019/20 challenge (coming in October)!!
1. Pick up a Read Local Challenge (RLC) Passport bookmark from your school, library, or local bookstore.
2. Collect stamps/signatures on your RLC Passport bookmark by completing any of the following tasks. (Spaces on your passport can be signed by the author/illustrator you meet, the bookseller/librarian you talk to, your teacher, or a parent.)
a. Read a book from our 2019/20 Read Local Challenge list
b. Attend an event at your school, library, or local bookstore, etc. to meet one of our Read Local Challenge authors or illustrators
c. Purchase a Read Local Challenge book from your local bookstore
d. Visit your library and check out one or more Read Local Challenge books
e. Review/Recommend a Read Local Challenge book (online or through your local bookstore, library, or school)
f. Connect with/follow your local bookstore or library online
g. Join the Read Local Challenge state-by-state Reading Race and tell us which books you’ve read! (Then, nominate your favorite school or library to win a box full of signed books!)
3. Redeem your passport at one of our partner bookshops for a prize (see list below):
Discover the prizes available for the Read Local Passport at each participating bookstore (Click the link on our map for details, and to find your closest Read Local bookstore.) You may choose one partner from our list to redeem your completed passport.
Inviting a Read Local author or illustrator to your school or library? Many of our partner bookstores offer preorders and book sales for special events. Please consider contacting one of them to handle your orders.- We can’t wait to meet you!
Frequently Asked Questions
You may also order a complete set of Read Local Challenge books (or pick and choose from our lists to customize your order) with your Children’s Plus, Inc. account!
When you join the Reading Race, nominate a school, library, or other organization to win a special prize pack of signed books!!
• Choose a challenge level, and start reading. (Or take the ultimate challenge and read all 38 books!) You’ll discover new friends, fascinating facts, and more … amazing adventures await in your new favorite book!
• Join in the state-by-state Reading Race. Tell us which books you have read, individually or with a team. Our interactive map will update within 5-10 minutes to tell us which state has the most frequent readers. (If your whole team / class reads a book together, you get to count it once for each member of your team!) Then nominate a school or library near you to win a selection of signed books from us. One school / library in the winning state will win the grand prize! (We reserve the right to award prizes to a school / library in a non-winning state, as well.)
• Fill your Read Local Challenge Passport and redeem it for an amazing reward! Pick up a Read Local Challenge Passport bookmark from your participating school, library, or bookstore. Fill the required number of passport spaces by reading books from our Read Local Challenge list, attending events to meet local authors and illustrators, visiting your library, and more. For details on the passport program (including a list of prizes, and bookstores where you can redeem your filled passport), please click here.
• Meet a local author or illustrator at one of our events! Check out the Read Local Challenge events calendar to find us at our already-scheduled events. Or host one of our Read Local Parties and invite one of our authors or illustrators for a FREE, informal Q&A event either in-person or via Skype call.** All Read Local Challenge authors and illustrators offer a 10% discount on our individual speaking rates to any group participating in the challenge. (See our websites for more information, or contact us for current rates.)
• Make it a competition! Gather a group of friends together, or challenge your class (or even your whole school)! Teachers, Librarians, & Group Leaders: Request your FREE Read Local Challenge Starter Kit. You will receive Read Local Challenge posters, passport bookmarks, stickers, and small prizes such as postcards, buttons, etc. While supplies last, you will receive a FREE signed copy of a Read Local Challenge book (from the current or a previous year). Who will win the grand prize in your challenge? Will it be the class who reads the most books? The student who most improves their reading? The one who has the best book-themed costume for Halloween? Or will you add the signed book to your library, so you all win together? It’s your challenge! You get to decide the rules!
**In addition to the discounted rates on our speaking fees for the challenge year, each author/illustrator will donate their time for ONE (1) informal appearance (Q&A + book signing only – not a speaking engagement!) at a FREE Read Local Challenge Party. You may request ONE (1) FREE party per challenge year. We will assign an author or illustrator for your FREE event based on location, availability, and requested challenge level. This party is a great way to kick off (or wrap up) your reading challenge! You may want to invite this author/illustrator to come back later in the school year to do a full presentation (or book them to do a presentation early in the year and then sign up to have them back for your FREE Read Local Party at the end of the year). Authors/Illustrators may choose (but are not required) to offer a 15% discount (instead of the standard 10% Read Local discount) for repeat speaking engagements.
Multi-author/illustrator visits at special rates are also available. If you have a set budget and/or you’d like to set up a special multi-author/illustrator panel for your school, library or organization, please contact Veronica Bartles, Assistant Regional Advisor for SCBWI MD/DE/WV, at email@example.com, or fill out our event request form with your information!
Our Past Read Local Challenge Books:
*To test your system to see if it is compatible with our webinar software, click here.